Dental implants are a wonderful way to reshape your smile, especially for those with missing or severely damaged teeth. Not only do they function like real teeth, but they look just as natural too, which effectively boosts your self-esteem. With implants, you don’t have to worry about taking them out or constantly getting them replaced. However, despite these amazing benefits, people often wonder how long dental implants last.
Surprisingly, the answer to that is pretty simple:
Dental implants can last for a very, very long time.
What Are Dental Implants Made Of?
It’s important to understand how intricate and strong dental implants are. They’re made of pure titanium, which adds to their strength. But when it comes to dissecting an implant itself, it can be divided into three separate parts. The top, the middle, and the bottom. These three parts are as follows:
- Crown is the topmost part of the implant. It’s the fake tooth that you see, known as a pontic tooth, and is usually crafted from porcelain or ceramic.
- Abutment lies in the middle. It’s the piece that helps to connect the crown to the base screw and prevents the pontic tooth from slipping out.
- Base is the bottom portion of the implant. Made from titanium and shaped like a screw, the implant base is inserted inside your jaw. This helps the jawbone and gums to grow around the screw, allowing the tooth to solidify.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
Since titanium is a biodegradable metal, it settles in permanently once inserted in your jawbone. Your body tends to accept it as one of its own. Thus, due to its overall sturdiness, a dental implant can last for a very long time.
Hence, it is safe to assume that dental implants last for as long as you take good care of them. On average, their lifespan can extend to over 30 years. Even more, if you maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine and maintain your implants.
Can Implants Last A Lifetime?
It depends. Once inserted, it can be quite difficult to distinguish an implant from natural teeth. Thus, as long as you treat an implant like your real teeth, your dental implant could last a lifetime. However, it’s important to note that this only applies to the titanium screw. The crown, or pontic tooth, might need to be replaced over time due to common wear and tear.
7 Things That Affect Dental Implant Lifespan
Despite dental implants being so powerful, there are a few factors that can majorly affect their longevity, such as:
- Smoking tobacco or nicotine.
- Constantly drinking alcohol.
- Neglecting to brush or floss your teeth.
- Following a diet heavy with sodium, acids, and sugar.
- Low bone density or genetic impairment.
- Certain pre-existing medical conditons.
- Ill-fitted or improper dental implant placement.
Simply put, dental implants are a true miracle. They offer an easy way to enhance your smile, one that requires minimal changes or revisions. Not to mention, they can last for as long as 30 years or more when proper care is taken.
For more information, reach out to Almond Dental today. You can visit us or call at any of our following locations:
- St. Anthony Location: 3803 Silver Lake Rd NE, St Anthony, MN 55421, United States
Contact Number: (612) 782-7000
- Maple Grove Location: 11301 Fountains Dr, Maple Grove, MN 55369, United States
Contact Number: (763 ) 762-7177